According to Savvy Auntie, today is Auntie’s Day. I’m super excited! My nieces and nephew aren’t old enough to really know that they’re celebrating a day specifically set aside for their aunt, as they’re only 2 1/2 years, 1 1/2 years, and 4 1/2 months old. That’s okay. It doesn’t matter to me. What matters is that I have them in my life.
I don’t have children of my own, but I love my nieces and nephew like they’re my own. It’s not news to my sister. (She quite often accuses me of spoiling them. ;)) They mean the world to me, and I can’t imagine life without them. I don’t want to either.
I would protect them even if it meant sacrificing my life for them. I wouldn’t think twice about it.
Here are the reasons I love being Auntie Em! (or Aunt Emi as they call me at times.)
- Feeling them wrap their little arms around my neck just because they feel like giving me a hug.
- The other day, my oldest niece crawled into my lap and said, “I need some Emerald time.” That in itself is rewarding enough.
- To hear their little feet climbing the stairs to my room and showing up saying, “I came up here so you could see me.”
- Them walking to my books saying, “Can I read this?” even though they can’t read and “my books don’t have pictures.” I have instilled a love of books in them, and for that, I’m so proud!
- Getting a smile from my 4 1/2 month old nephew when I walk in the room and just say his name.
- I have gotten to be there for each of them through the most important times of their being: first smiles, first steps, first words, etc. I’m truly blessed.
There are probably about a hundred more reasons, and I’m so proud to have such wonderful nieces and a nephew. I look forward to many more years of being their Auntie.
So, to all of the Auntie’s out there, Happy Auntie’s Day! If you aren’t an Auntie (or Uncle). I hope you have the chance to be soon. It’s very rewarding!